Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?


This week as part of my TOS Homeschool Crew 'tryout' we've been reviewing one of the E Books from the Wanna Be Series - Firefighter. I have to be honest when I first flicked through it I thought NO, not really going to be relevant for us here in Australia. Plus all I could see was how much research I will have to do to make it relevant. Well actually I am pleased to say that I was wrong. Sure I had to look at our building codes which were easily located and to explain. Recruitment requirements were a little different and I included the US history and Queensland history which for me was so interesting.
We had loads of fun on our own QLD Fire & Rescue Service website. Loads of online games and colourings for the kids to do which help to solidify the things covered in the unit but with a real Australian flavor. Most importantly that we ring ooo for emergency.

When I grow Up I Want to be a Firefighter has been so much fun.
The highlight for us was learning about the role of the dogs, both in history and still today. When you see an American firefighter or fire house you see a dog. We had no idea what that was all about. We knew that they worked in forensics, and as cadaver dogs but the need for them in the early history of the fire brigade was so fascinating. I won't give it away here you will need to purchase the unit study to find that one out and at $8.95 per unit it is well worth the investment. You and the kids will not at all be disappointed.

We spread this unit study over 1 week as it's quite comprehensive, but a user friendly unit study. Given the nature of this series it's able to work equally as well for multi ages which is fantastic when you are homeschooling multi aged families. It covers Science, Maths, Literacy, Grammar and more.
As we used this with 7 & 4 year old girls they were totally enthralled. They loved playing dress ups, sliding down the pole off our deck(it was safe and not too far from the ground). Making the model of the Robotic Arm out of Styrofoam was also a great highlight.

This series which also includes 10 other careers to explore together can be purchases individually for $8.95US each or as a package of 10. Samples of each EBook from the Wanna Be Series is available on the wedsite.

Take a sneak peek for yourself. This is the beauty of The Old SchoolHouse Store as you're able to get a good look inside so you're able to make the best choice for you and your families needs.


Maddie and Lucy gave this unit a big yyyaaahhh, when asked if they enjoyed this one. I think the trip to the Fire Station scheduled for next week has also added a yippee to it!

No comments: